Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I am a bit of a pop culture aficionado. That may or may not be obvious. One of the toughest part about living in London, even though, I am also a complete Anglophile too, is that I miss American trash. Once I read that there is nothing called guilty pleasures, that if it brings you pleasure you shouldn't feel guilty. Now that may sound like something Eliot Spitzer said to his wife or Bill Clinton to Hilary, but when it comes to Pop Culture I disagree. I love Karate Kid, Dirty Dancing and Saved by the Bell. To me there are few songs that are more enjoyable than Total Eclipse of the Heart or More than a Feeling for that matter. Just because something is either made or loved by the masses doesn't automatically make it bad. I am sure if you have read this far and know my writing style, you know that this intro is a set-up for something. I commented to Slinger the other day, about it and that is Slingbox.
Slingbox is something that you can hook-up to your DVR (can you believe there are still people without DVR, their inefficiency is an affront to human intelligence and decency) and allows you to watch the television anywhere in the world over your lap top. As I type this it is 1243 in the morning in London and I am watching Tuesday nights Jeopardy. My subscription to Entertainment Weekly may not make it all the way to London, but at least I can still watch, Lost, How I Met Your Mother, and Saturday Night Live.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm inefficent. When I want to watch something at another time, I use a VCR, but then the only thing I ever VCR is a new episode of House.

Anonymous said...

The thing with DVR is that you automatically have every House, so it makes the idiot box even more idiot proof. It just boggles my mind that some people are late adopters to what is fantastic technology and not crazily expensive. The Field and I back home have a GPS for our car, that is awesome technology, but also very expensive, I can understand why not everyone would have it, but even back in New Jersey where they charge only slightly less for Cable than they do for Car Insurance, the differential of getting DVR is slight.

Shoot I would say it was worth it even for the fact that you can pause live TV. Not to have too many going to the bathroom references, but sometimes 4 minutes of commercials is just not enough time.

Valerie said...

I also love Karate Kid, Dirty Dancing and Saved by the Bell...I've never admitted that "out loud" before...I guess you helped me step out of that closet.

I remember several years ago someone telling me how TiVo changed his life and I tried to roll my eyes as little as possible...then a few months later we got a DVR service and I realized how right he had been.

I vaguely remember hearing of the concept of slingbox...sounds like the wave of the future.

Anonymous said...

yeah, hard to imagine living without DVR now, just for the pausing of live TV feature. With 3 kids, I use the pause button A LOT!