Thursday, May 22, 2008

If someone says to me "you have to meet so and so, you will absolutely love them" two results will follow and its based on their criteria used to come to the conclusion that I will love them.

Criteria one: They are basing it on their knowledge that my heart often melts for slightly naive but intellectually rigorous, shorter cute blondes from suburban America, who find cynicism, mixed with embarrassing stories from childhood, mixed with the occasional fart/dick/ethnic joke to be the most charming characteristic in another human being.
Result: Usually I absolutely love them, where love is defined as, wouldn't be opposed to sitting next to them on a long flight to Asia where we both don't have books and the movie is Sisterhood of the Traveling pants.

Criteria two: All other Criteria.
Result. I don't absolutely love them, in fact I often think they are obnoxious, annoying or any other adjective that you don't put on your Match.com profile or your resume.

I think the reason for this is when people decide people who we will "absolutely love" they are doing so basing it on the person they are thinking of reminds them of us, and has characteristics of us. I hang out with myself enough that I don't need another me.

No comments: