Tuesday, May 20, 2008

One of the things about London is that the movie theatre near me has a deal, pay 20 pounds and you get to see as many movies you want in a month. So this summer I have taken it upon myself to see and review every "blockbuster". Here goes.

Iron Man.

Let me start off by saying there was a time where I was a comic book guy. My favorites were Daredevil and Green Arrow. I always disliked Superman because he was unrelatable. And the only way they ever tried to make him relatable was to make Clark Kent a bumbling doofus, which just doesn't play. I always liked Batman too, but the problem with Batman is that no matter how you want to portray Batman, you will be honest to the character, because by now we have seen Batman as dark and gritty and it works, we have seen Batman as bright and funny and it works, we have seen Batman as Dark and Bright and it works. So Batman has some core qualities, but how we enjoy him rests on the slant the creators want to play him as. Which brings me to Iron Man. I never read Iron Man. I probably knew some about his character, if only because I have at some point in my life known the inverse about comic books that I know about women.

The movie is in a word Awesome. Robert Downey Jr, phenomenal casting role. I thought he stole the movie in the underrated ZODIAC. In this he is perfect as Tony Stark. The role is played with humor. The role is played with a coolness that echoes Fonzie at his best. This is the super hero that guys want to be, girls want to be with. He parties, he lives life fun, and oh yeah he kicks ass. He is a rich Han Solo.
It doesn't stop there, the plot is pretty conventional, but the supporting cast is great. Gweneth Paltrow, who I have never really been a fan of, is hot in the movie, playing the role of hot good girl to perfection. Jeff Bridges is great as Tony Starks partner/archnemesis.
What a way to start the summer.

No comments: