Saturday, March 08, 2008

When it comes down to it what is the most humbling object in the universe?

A whistle on a lanyard. Think about it. When you hold a whistle on a lanyard you could think "ooh I could blow into this and make a loud sound." However, are any of us truly optimistic enough to see that totally utilitarian view of the whistle? The answer is obvious.

Instead when said object is in our hands we immediately realize our own imperfections with more clarity than a 20X mirror. Sure we could try and swing the lanyard around our index finger allowing the centrifugal force to spin the whistle like a plastic tilt-a-whirl. Each revolution only deepens the glaring fact that we are not nor will ever be as cool as a lifeguard at a public swimming area.

We could also put said whistle around our neck, wearing it like a crucifix presented to an Italian boy on his first communion. We can stand tall and proud with shorts and ankle socks, and a windbreaker with no lining, but we will never have the simultaneous real and inflated power that a J.V. soccer coach.

When i most think about the whistle though is when it comes time for me to make a decision. Like all of us mortals, my decision making process often is filled with hawwing and hemming. Do I go see Juno or do I go see Rambo. Like all people who struggle with life, the emotion I feel the most is congnative dissonance, that feeling that the decision you just made is the wrong one. Often on lazy sunday's or rainy wednesdays I think about my decision making role models. The people who can make decisions in instants and then stand behind them with more confidence than a wolf in a chicken coup for the blind. I am of course talking about referees, but in particular soccer and basketball. They stand before us often in black, the sports equivalent of Johnny Cash, and who could not imagine a referee orderring foul shots or penalty kick in Reno just to watch a man die. The referee has his whistle and blows it with such authority. Their decision stands.

Sorry to write such a depressing piece

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. I think I grew up with you. Did you ever live in Cherry Hill, NJ?

FD said...

Spooky but yes

Anonymous said...

two little brothers if my memory serves me right, near the corner of Old Orchard and Locust Grove, on Locust Grove...?

Anonymous said...

So my curiosity is peaked, and my inner Lenny Briscoe has brought me to a couple of assumptions and then I will make a few guesses.

1. Anonymous is a a guy, we grew up in South Jersey not Southern California, only guys would use dude as a greeting. (Although being from Cherry Hill I am surprised it wasn't Yo!)
2. We probably went to school together, but you didn't live in our neighborhood because you were almost right on the address, but actually fundamentally off on the layout of the neighborhood Locust Grove didn't bisect Old Orchard, it was lamp post lane (full disclosure I knew this but confirmed with Google Maps).
3. We were friends at some point because you had been to our house, but we probably were not as good of friends when we moved in 1989, (I assume this because most of the people I was friends with circa 1989 over the years I have heard from).
4. That being said we knew each other well enough that seeing my name somewhere would have sparked recognition 20+ years later.

So with that and my own failing memory. I have three guesses, all describing different people.

1. Did your dad work in Radio?
2. Were you a big Boston Red Sox fan?
3. Did you have a brother that skipped kindergarten or something like that?

Anonymous said...

You are very good, and I have clearly found the right guy. I think I can name all three of those people. first names are adam, jeff, and larry, respectively.

I was about to say we should take this offline, but if I gave you my email address, it would give away who I am. and, I don't know how to give you my email address without broadcasting it over your blog. So, could you tell me how to do that or just give me yours. Or, we can keep on playing the guessing game. That's fun, too.

Anonymous said...

This is like Lost... there are all these seemingly unconnected connections happening (and my memories of things I haven't thought about in years are filling my head). Your naming of Larry was wrong. However I know the Larry you are talking about, In fact there was an event not long before I moved, that involved tangentially the four of us. The last time I saw Larry was at Jeff's Bar Mitzvah and Adam couldn't be there for some reason, but his Mother went and drove me home when it was finished.

I can't remember my keys half the time, but I remember this from 20 years ago... I think I know which of the two remaining you are. I just googled the name and if it is the person who I think it is, it would be pretty easy for me to get in touch with you. So before I send an email to someone from 20 years ago, who you may not be, confirm this one question: "In 3rd/4th grade the person I am thinking of had a crush on a girl in our class, pretty hardcore. I remember she went to the guy I am thinking of's birthday party (the first I went to that was co-ed). She had a sister who was our babysitter. And i think I used to report back to you stuff that her sister would tell us when she watched us. What was the girl's first name?" Conversely if that is too deep in my memory, if you are the person I am thinking of, we once went to one "professional" sporting event together, what was it?

Anonymous said...

I am Larry, and my brother skipped kindergarten.

I'm just kidding. Yeah, that one was a reach.

I don't remember these specific events all that well.
-The girl, if it's who I think, lived on your street. Her initials were AH.
-The sporting event must have been a Phillies game?I went to alot of baseball games growing up. Some hockey and a little bit of bball, too. but, never an Eagles game.

I do remember why Adam couldn't go to that Bar Mitzvah. He was in Israel on a youth trip. He's back though. (Not sure Jeff ever forgave him for that, actually.) Drop him an email. You've got the right guy.

Valerie said...

The comments for this post should be a post in and of itself...fascinating.

I forgot already what the original post was about...(going back to check)...

ah yes, go with Juno. But don't have high expectations...it's better that way. That doesn't make sense, but do go see it.