Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I was thinking today about Graffiti. Graffiti like tattoos are things that don't naturally belong where they are but people put there to express themselves. As previously posted I do a lot of walking and biking in the area where I live. All told I probably cover a 20 square mile area on a semi-regular basis. Since the area is primarily urban with many overpasses, trestles and other graffiti conducive surfaces, I get to see a lot of graffiti. One particular tagger, if that is the proper term, I am intrigued by because he just tags every thing "ALOT". His work, and I assuming it is a male, is seen over most of the area I believe I cover, which means that he goes to some effort, or he owns a car, to put his message up. I have four theories as to what ALOT means?


1. His name is AL OT, but that would be obvious to people in town who know Al.

2. He is being very literal in his graffiti. He tags a lot of things so he posts what he does.

3. He is describing where he is tagging much of the time. In a Lot.

4. He has some motive that I cannot identify (which I know is just a lazy way of me saying I only have 3 theories, but...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your first thoery is probably closest to the truth. ALOT is probably his signature or symbol depending on how intricate the design is.