Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Interesting thing that I am now going to declare (with some sadness). 30 rock has surpassed the Office in terms of funniness. Thursday's dinner party episode was funny, but and I emailed my friend this, what happened to Jan? Jan in the earlier seasons reminded me of many women I had met in New York. Type A, career driven, but also stumbling through mediocre relationships with other Type A, career driven men (who for the most parts were on the slightly okay side of Jerks). Many of them, often around the same age (or slightly younger) than the age I presume Jan to be, they make a decision to forgo the lawyer, banker, hedge fund guy who is nice, secure, but also when he is dancing with her at a wedding can't help himself from looking around the room to see what else is available. I can think of at least 3 very successful women who at that point chose a guy who is more "real", they choose the fireman, the police officer, the regional manager of a paper company.
What I don't get is why is Jan now a spazzy nutball. It doesn't make sense and it seems like she is a different character than she was before.
Plus now that Jim has the girl and is pretty successful, how can we root for him. I actually find myself rooting for Dwight, who has gone from the office weirdo to the office punching bag. And I don't know about you, but enough times of Lucy swiping the football and eventually you want to see Charlie Brown kick it.

Now excuse me I have to go sweep up saw dust with Gilly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on 30 Rock. The Office seems to, at times, try too hard to be funny, and when they do, they have Michael do some over-the-top thing and it is almost un-funny.

And Jan, I guess when they gave her bigger boobs, the decided her character had to change as well.