Thursday, June 14, 2007

Slinger asked me to name my 12 favorite movies. I will add a little commentary

  1. The Apartment - My favorite movie of all time. The Lake won't watch it because it is black and white. This movie captures New York to a T.
  2. The Karate Kid - Years ago when I took a screenwriting class I referenced every point covered to how it applied to the Karate Kid.
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark - In so many ways the perfect adventure movie.
  4. Caddyshack - Ted Knight is superb in this movie.
  5. Almost Famous - There is more heart in this movie than in an entire greeting card store.
  6. Wall Street - Such a moral fable.
  7. Cocktail - When Tom Cruise was cool. But Bryan Burns steals the show
  8. Get Shorty - I loved it when it first came out, I love it even more now. Dennis Farina steals the show
  9. Scent of a Woman - Al Pacino is perfectly over the top in this movie.
  10. Adaptation - Such a creative movie. It out metas - meta. (and is more accessible than the still great Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)
  11. Punch Drunk Love - There are so many perfect little moments in this movie. Everybody thought it was stupid.
  12. Dirty Dancing. When this came out in 87 my Mom would watch it day after day after day. Now whenever it is on, I can't help but watch it. Unreal soundtrack, nice story. In 1998 my senior year of college I spent an entire weekend trying to teach my friend's 18 year old sister the lift. We got it once, and we also shared an unprivate kiss making her sister banish her from my apartment the rest of the weekend.

13 Honorable Mentions: Animal House, Lost in Translation, Memento, Vanilla Sky, Magnolia, Joe Vs. The Volcano, The Shining, Top Gun, Jackie Brown, The Swimmer, Match Point, Glengarry Glen Ross, Point Break

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAGNOLIA!

love it, Tom is still cool .

Come ON!

Anonymous said...

Ok, again, one of your top 12 is on my post for tomorrow, sorry.

I forgot all about Almost Famous, but like I said, I could have spent a week on this list and still had some that were forgotten.