Thursday, June 28, 2007

My freshman year of college I was taking the standard writing class part two. I had to pick a poem and analyze the meaning of it. I don't like much poetry, except haiku and bawdy limericks. I picked Robert Frost's Nothing Gold Can Stay. If only because I remember it from the Outsiders. I compared it to Bruce Springsteen's song Glory Days. My teacher, who went on to be the poet lauriet of Rhode Island read the essay, the only thing he wrote on my paper was "A Are you from New Jersey". This morning as I heard Glory Days I wish I still had that paper. Anyway here is the poem:

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I always associate that poem with the Outsiders too.

On another note, I've been waiting to hear about this new project you've mentioned in previous posts...

thanks for the link add, I've added you too. :)