Monday, July 02, 2007

I thought that the 40 Year Old Virgin was a step in the right direction in terms of summer comedies. The movie plays true throughout, and then has one of the greatest non-sequitor endings of movies ever. The greatest part of the movie is that it never sells out in the name of laugh versus the long-term arch of the story. So this weekend the Field and I saw Knocked up. Very funny movie. And really tries to do the same thing. Tries to never sell it out, and probably never does, instead what this one never completely caught was the versimilutude of the truth. I just never bought into the story. Not because a schlub can't get a pretty girl, but because there was never a true relationship between them, They never sold me that they got there. And to me that is the shame of the movie. It took a very funny, and very possible topic and left it just short. And yet I would still recommend it. Because it is that funny, and it is so much better than so much out there.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I just watched 40-year-old virgin this weekend for the second time. The first time was in the movie theater, so it's been a short while. Still funny/hilarious and there was "new" stuff that I didn't catch the first time.