Monday, July 09, 2007

The Lost Theory.

Lost as a TV show I think is a metaphor for life. Not in the way the characters, plot and mystery unfold. That is all interesting and entertaining. I am thinking more in terms of the Tom Petty gem The Waiting. The story I have always heard is that Petty wrote the song after reading a People Magazine article on Bettle Midler. In the article she is asked what is the hardest part of performing, and she says, "Waiting to get to perform for that one hour the next day" and Petty sings "The waiting is the hardest Part." It's such a simple thought that even though the song is musically nothing really special, but the meaning, pun intended, always struck such a chord.

Lost to those people that view it regularly is a frustrating show. There are 3, 4, maybe even 5 episodes where things are hinted at, there are small moments of joy but also an awful lot of frustration. The frustration is focused on the unknown, of hints but no answers, of wanting more action, more satisfaction, and just more. It gets to the point where you get so frustrated (and no this is not a call for help at all, I am not on the ledge) but where you think about stopping watching Lost altogether. Your love of life/Lost keeps you going though, because you hope and eventually there comes an episode where all that frustration is eased, where the struggle of the last 3, 4, or 5 episodes is erased by how meaningful and satisfying the episode is. And here is where I bring it full circle because even though so far the summer has been pretty good, this weekend was one of those episodes that makes you realize why you love the show so much to begin with.

All that being said, I still don't understand the Polar Bears.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

I've never felt frustrated enough to even think about giving up on it...I'm just too hooked.

Anonymous said...

About mid-way through the first season my suspension-of-disbelief button stopped working for Lost and I bailed out of the plane, so to speak.

Anonymous said...

I like Lost, but it has the definition of stalling down pat.

Anonymous said...

There are a few episodes that are slow, but over all, this show keeps my brain in check, so I keep coming back for more.