Tuesday, July 10, 2007

With the sad truth of the London Bombings, the Hippocrattic oath has come to the nations forefront again. This is combined with a mere three days ago it was 7/7/07. This leads me to ask the following questions. If you are an Obstetrician (If that is indeed a baby Doctor) when it comes to stating the time of birth and weight of the baby how much leeway do you play with? Especially on special calendar days like 7/7/07.

Example one: If a baby, lets call him Ralph, was born at 7:06:54 you might state that his time of birth is 7:07 and nobody would scream.
Example two: If a baby lets call her Rita, was born at 7:09:01 would it be ethical to name the birth time as 7:07?
Example three: If a baby and I have decided to stop naming them, was born and weighed 7 Pounds 6.5 ounces, I would think it would be acceptable to say his birth weight was 7lbs 7oz.
Example four: If another baby, again unnamed but different from the one in example three and cuter, is born and weighs 7lbs 10oz would it be okay to put on the charts that it weighs 7lbs 7oz.

I know you think I probably don't have an opinion on such things, but I do. I really don't care about Ralph and Rita's birth time (ironic in that I named them and not the others). I would think though, that in the case of birth weight that is an important medical yardstick. Later when talking about growth percentages, a few ounces might be statistically significant, especially in cases where people were rounding up.

Similarly odd: On fourth of July one of the stations predicted that the daytime high was 76. It only got up to 72. Were they trying to be cutsie with the historical temp reference or was it a bad prediction?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts. And I think with time of birth, I am sure a LOT of doctors rounded up and down to try and make the families happy.

Anonymous said...

The weatherperson was being cute.

Anonymous said...

in 8 years:
3/14/15 at 9:26 weighing 5lb 3.5 oz

It would, of course, be a girl named Circe

FD said...

Its never too early for a Pi reference