Friday, June 30, 2006

ODDs and ENDS

1. In a followup to my post about how 2006 is different from 1996 here. I think there is an inflection point in pop culture. There is a movie that has sensibilities that would fit with 1996 and 2006. That movie is Can't Hardly Wait. The timing is perfect for it as well. It came out in 1998 8 months before Oops I did it again.

2. To anyone that will listen to me, I always state that by far my favorite Elvis song is Suspicious Minds. I could and probably do listen to it on a daily basis, at least for the last few years. The lyrics, the production, the melody just slay me, and its a sad song, which I love. Anyhow through the magic of the internet I found this which is collections of "cover" versions. The only one worth really noting is halfway through the list, by Mark James. Mark James wrote the song (and also the Willie Nelson song Always On My Mind). Any how it is a great version and when you strip out the powerfullness of Elvis' voice there are small parts of the song you notice that when you go back to Elvis version you can still see there. (As a faithful reader of this blog I reserve the right to write 600 words on the song at a ;ater date).

3. Is there anything better then when someone refers to themselves in the third person.

No comments: