Thursday, November 09, 2006

I love when someone older gets email for the first time. It's like all of a sudden it's 1997 again and for a few weeks I get a bunch of emails about:

1. How Bill Gates will send me $100
2. How Men are like Library Books and Women are like Toothbrushes
3. How Sunscreen causes blindness
4. Jokes where the punchline is "Oh I thought you meant the Pasta Maker"
5. Poems about the importance of loving your life
6. Lists of Jokes by Stephen Wright

Then eventually the novelty of sharing kilobyte after kilobyte of crappy information wears off and they finally figure out what the digital in digital camera means and I start to get pictures about peoples kids and pets who I will never meet.

A creative writing teacher once quoted someone as saying, "Sorry for the long letter, if I had more time it would have been shorter". The bandwith the internet provides allows for great things like blogs (especially ones from lonely cubicle jockey's) but it also allows for people to forward the same 9 forwards around again and again. To each their own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

to each HIS own...