Thursday, November 02, 2006

Proof that the Chinese are Smart

Last summer I went down to Atlantic City on a Saturday night to play some poker with my roommate. We play all day, I am up like $200 and have quite a number of cocktails. We decide to get up from the table and walk around and see the sights. Not 10 minutes later, I run into someone from work. First, she is dressed nothing like she does at work. She is dressed to go out and pick up a guy. Second, we immediately, independently realize we need to acknowledge each other. There was a noticible pause followed by an awkward hug/kiss hello. I wish that was an isolated incident. Here are some estimated statistics.

Percentage of Females I know I am on a hug hello/hug goodbye basis: 50%
Percentage of Males: 4%
Percentage of Females occassionally there is a hug involved 20%
Males: 3%
Percentage of Hugs per year that are not awkward: 50%
Percentage excluding my wife: 98.3%

In the end my thoughts on Hugs:
Aunt at a family reunion - Fine.
Mom on Mothers Day - Fine
Softball Teammate after winning the league championship - Okay but you must also tap their shoulder very forcefully
Friends Girlfriend or ex-co worker - You should just be able to nod your head as if to indicate "Yes, I acknowledge we know each other & yes it is good to see you again, but also we don't need to press each others bodies near each other to prove that"

No comments: