Thursday, October 19, 2006

trigger said...
I'm one of your 6 faithful readers and I'm a librarian. Scary, huh?
9:52 AM

With respect to Walt Whitman's "O Captain My Captain"

Librarian! Librarian! My book is overdue
The stamp in the back’s date has passed, late fees did accrue
The end was near, the resolution was clear, characters were changing
But five more chapters to reveal, left pages of explaining
But O Time! Time! Time
O the bleeding hands of Time
For behind that Desk, Librarians Wait
Full of Scold and dread

Librarian! Librarian! Please cut me some Slack.
I whisper in my lowest voice and put periodicals in the rack
For I am not the jerk with soda or the internet creep
I used the Dewey Decimal System and never fall asleep
Librarian! Dear friend.
Let me return my book
And when I borrow just, say “Thanks”
Without Scold and Dread

Librarian, does not answer, the face is mean and raw
Gives no break, doesn't contemplate, He enforces his law
The crummy ending that took extra days is finally closed and done
And my penalty ends up leaving me 3 bucks less than begun
Exult old books and sing old friends
But I with sunken head
Walk away from the Librarian’s eyes
Full of Scold and Dread


Librarians much like Police officers, Principals, Biology Teachers and Suit Salesmen are very nice people except when they are at work.

3 comments:

trigger said...

hearty laugh, but ouch. times are changing. you might be down to 5 readers after today.

FD said...

It is all meant in good fun. I am sure much like Mr. Kelly My Biology teacher, you are the exception.

trigger said...

i was gonna keep reading anyway.