Thursday, May 17, 2007

A few years ago through a series of unfortunate events I was supposed to go to a cabin I own with a few friends from college, and at the last minute work told me I couldn't go. It was the end of feb and plans were to work perfectly such that I would leave on Thursday afternoon and have a blast and stay until Monday. So late in the game I decided to go anyway, even though it meant me getting on a 6 hour train ride and spending about 20 hours there and getting on a six hour train ride back. So I get on the train and watch the entire first season of Arrested Development on my laptop, followed by the first season of the Office (the british version). I get to the cabin about 5:30 at night. We go out to a few of the bars in the woods and have a phenomenal time. I get up at 10AM and drive back to the train station. The sad part is the train is sold out. And the next train doesn't come until Monday morning. Additionally it is the middle of February and about 6 degrees out, and I have no cell phone reception. The other person waiting for the train suggests that I call the 800 number from the pay phone and I may be able to get a reservation. I do. When they tell me my reservation number it is 10 digits long. So I look around and there are four people waiting for the train. An elderly woman, a man who is drunk, a girl of about 19 with more metal in her face than pores. So I ask if any of them have a pen. They don't. If you have read anything about Mental faculties, one of the reasons that phone numbers are 7 digits is that is about all the average head can remember easily. This was 10 digits (and I may just be bumping of the degree of dificultly but I think it was alphanumeric as well). So I ask the girl with the metal face... (or as I will call her Roboface) if she will help me. She said sure. I said this is going to be silly. When I was a kid and would play Simon (The electronic game where you had to remember the pattern of colors that lit up), I found that if you sung with different tones the names of the colors you could remember much further to like up to 21-22 colors and if you played with a friend you could break thirty) She said "so". So I began to sing the numbers to her, and she would sing them back to me. "1CD459K43L". Then once we had them sung a few times we harmonized them. 10 minutes later of us singing this song the train came and Roboface and I ended up sitting across the aisle from each other and sang the song until I found someone doing the NY Times crossword puzzle and borrowed their pen to write it down until the conductor came. Then he didn't even ask for my reservation number. So I offered to buy Roboface a soda or beer or something, and she just said, "no the story alone is worth the singing".
On the way home I pretty much slept.

No comments: