Thursday, May 17, 2007

I have really decided that I don't like events at all. I may have a good time while at an event, but in all honesty 98% of the time I am having a good time anyway so I would much rather it be on my own terms. Here is how 90% of all events go for me. I find one or two kindred spirits who I end up spending 75% of the time talking to (mostly about either A) something that really interests us or B) about how there are things we would rather be doing (it's always nice to hear someone else's sacrifice for being there) or C) about some commonality of the human condition that is humorously being displayed by one of the other event goers) then I spend the other 25% of my time pretending to care about things that I really don't care about. What's interesting is that I write all of this as if this situation is unique to me, but maybe this is how everyone approaches an event.

And just to prove my point 75% conversations may include:
A) places people have been that I am interested in, funny anecdotes, opinions on books, music or literature that may interest me or presented in a new or interesting light
B) Talking about what you could have been doing such as hiking, drinking, dancing or singing Belinda Carlisle songs in Karaoke
C) Like one of the people in attendance may be wearing an inappropriately revealing outfit, or plaid pants, or talking too loudly or about their portfolio and you and the kindred spirit can dryly comment on the silliness of such actions.

25% conversations include:
People talking about their painting of their home
Jokes about republicans and democrats that involve puns
People talking about Dogs who are long dead with no humorous or interesting slant
People talking about how impressed they are with the cheese selection
Anyone ever talking about a trip they took to Napa
Any discussions lasting longer than 30 seconds about cell phone plans
and any discussion more than 30 minutes into the event discussing how the person traveled there (unless they have crossed more than two time zones)

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Oh, but I have a really good story about the last time I went to Napa and my husband forgot his socks...