Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I read a fairly interesting book a few years ago, "Why do Buses come in Threes?" It is all about math applications in everyday life. One of the things it talks about is the frequency of once in a life time occurrences. Last year, two days before New Years, I ran into a Finance professor of mine from college coming out of customs in Heathrow airport. That to me was a mindblowing coincidence. But here is the thing, in airports I have run into people I used to work with, people I went to college with, people who I know from my days doing improv etc etc. Here, roughly is the math, and any math professors please feel free to expand. The chances of me running into my professor in Heathrow Airport at that time unknowingly over the course of my life time might be 1 in a million. But lets say that over the course of my life time my circle of knowledge is 3500 people and I visit Heathrow airport 10 times. Now all of a sudden my chances of running into anyone I know at Heathrow, one of the times I have been there, is 35,000 in a million. Now if you say well lets look at all airports I will be in, and all of a sudden my chances quickly get over the million mark. So what does it mean. Well had I ran into unknowingly my freshman year roommate in the Cincinnati airport (actually in Kentucky), the coincidence would have again been spectacularly rare feeling, but the notion of running into anyone I know unexpectedly would not have been.

The reason I preamble with this is that this morning I was coming back from picking up my dry cleaning. The street I live on is tree lined. I saw something that I would wager I would never see again. I saw a squirrel fall from a tree, land on its back, get up run into a moving car, bounce back and then get up and start to reclimb the tree. Today, I hope employees everywhere emulate the squirrel.

No comments: