Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My freshman year of college I had a friend, who was a nice guy, who eventually transferred. One night 6 or so weeks into first semester, I came home for a neighbor's 80th birthday party. The whole weekend I wondered what was going on back on campus. I wondered what movies they were watching. I wondered what parties they were going to. I wondered whose fake ID had worked to buy beer. That Sunday night I got back to school around nine and I remember feeling like I was home, and glad about it. Later that week I asked my buddy how his trip home was, and he said great, he saw all his friends, they went to the hangouts they used to go to. He hooked up with a junior from his high school. He asked me, and I said "The whole time I wondered what people were doing here". He said, "That's how I feel about home when I am here."

What does this all mean? I don't know but I thought of this story when I saw that someone in the office who is on vacation is sending "the office" a postcard each day of their vacation.

No comments: