Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The long awaited Reflections from the Lake orgin story.

A lot of people ask me, why is your blog with your observations about office life and pop culture and your demented writing titled Reflections from the Lake? (and by a lot of people, I mean nobody yet, but mostly due to shyness)

Well I guess on first blush it is an odd name. I live nowhere near any lakes. The truth is the name comes from a one off email to a cousin of mine. In the email I was trying to come up with the perfect name for a newspaper column in a small town free weekly, written by a retired World War II veteran. Each week I could imagine him posting his "reflections" in columnar format. Oh and he would definitely live in Maine. Below is an excerpt from the column for this week

Reflections from the Lake
I wandered over to the Library on Thursday and it seems the DaVinci Code still has a waiting list of 16 people
My 12 year old grandson Trevor is really growing up, I caught him sneaking a look at Betty Waldorf at the Freezy Hut, where we went for cones. Betty is 38 but looks about 22.
Is there a better breakfast then the Bacon, Egg Lettuce and Syrup Sandwich at the Caribou Dinner.
The Bluejays have been eating so much birdseed lately the squirrels are looking anorexic.
Have you ever noticed that every time you open a magazine a subscription card falls out. How many of these do they put in an issue of Newsweek?
The St. Paul 's Bake sale was so nice I had to endulge in a second Raspeberry Bar.
Only 136 shopping days until Christmas, Santas elves must be finishing up the last of their vacations.


And so on and so on... I just hope my observations are slightly better

No comments: