Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Time again for a story from my youth.

1993 I am the Junior class Vice-President. I am working the refreshments table at the school dance with Mr. Kelly. Mr. Kelly was the prototypical high school chemistry teacher, unfortunately I had him for Biology. He was also our class advisor and over the four years we became, if nothing else, male compatriots in the otherwise female dense student council system. So we are at this dance, and at this point dances in generalwere waning in popularity. So we probably had 150 students, whereas three years previous the average was closer to 500. Anyhow it is getting later in the dance and we are standing there selling candy, hot dogs, popcorn and knockoff grocery store soda. Any how this girl, who if I remember correctly was one of those loud, cute not pretty, freshman girls, the kind that plays field hockey not soccer, came up to us and asked us for change of a quarter. I went to the cashbox and all we had were quarters. She then asked if either of us had a dime she could borrow. We didn't. Mr. Kelly being helpful offered that the payphone is 25 cents. She says she just needs a dime. So then a guy behind her in line says, that he has 2 dimes and nickle. She walks off, we serve the guy a Twix. Mr. Kelly and I then stand there and like the anti-Sherlock Holmes and Watson trying to figure out what was the urgent need for the dime. It was then that she came back and asked for the key to the ladies room, during dances the school locked the rest rooms to insure that no one smoked or made out or defaced school property in there. It was at that moment that the dime-bathroom connection Eurekaed through our skulls. From that point on whenever I saw Mr. Kelly I asked him if he had a dime. I think he even mentioned it when he signed my yearbook.

2 comments:

Slinger said...

I don't get the dime-bathroom relation. maybe I am too old. Was it for the tampon machine?

FD said...

SI